A good interior decorating course teaches you all you need to know to become a success in this industry. You’ll need to learn all about the design principles, how to create beautiful interiors and how to work as a professional.
The Learning Group offers the following interior decorating courses to kick-start your career:
- Short Course Certificate in Decorating
- Short Course Certificate in Sketch-Up
- Short Course Certificate in History of Art
- Short Course Certificate in History of Architecture
- Certificate in Decorating
What is interior decorating?
An interior decorator is a person who knows what décor to choose, what the fashion trends are, which colours go together, how to use lighting to great effect, and how to optimally arrange furniture. Through developing specific skills and industry knowledge, an interior decorator offers clients the professional services of decorating, revamping or remodelling work or living spaces.
An interior decorator does not, however, merely perform home makeovers. An interior decorator must also be able to:
- Work with a variety of spaces: from offices and mansions to hotel foyers and houses.
- Work closely with clients, understanding and catering to their needs and desires.
- Work out schedules and balance budgets.
- Work with textiles, upholstery, floors, ceilings, furniture and more.
- Plan and package an interior makeover through mood boards and sketches.
- Build industry networks of merchandisers and suppliers.
An interior decorator must also have:
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- A vast knowledge of styles, trends, art and architecture.
- Working knowledge of all the different design elements.
What does an interior decorating course entail?
To become an interior decorator, you must first master a range of design and decorating principles and build up a good foundation of knowledge. For this reason, The Learning Group’s courses in interior decorating studies include a whole range of content.
Our courses focus on:
- Understanding and implementing decorating elements and principles.
- Using innovative 3-D software such as Google Sketch-Up.
- Drawing as a decorator.
- Designing with fabrics and upholstery.
- Working with the different elements of interior spaces.
- Understanding everything from lighting and balance to colour and patterns.
- Putting up finishing touches.
- Understanding building and floor plans.
- Creating interior concepts.
- Building a decorating portfolio
We also take into account that interior decorating is not just superficial work. How we personalise living spaces is part of our cultural self-expression. Because of this, and
The Learning Group also offers courses on art and architectural history. In these courses, you will learn about:
Studying interior decorating with The Learning Group
Our interior decorating courses are designed to help you start your career on the right foot. Before getting your first interior decorating job, you will need to get appropriate training. This is where The Learning Group comes in.
The Learning Group offers interior decorating courses through distance learning. This means that you will be able to study via correspondence from anywhere in South Africa. You will have access to a personal tutor with whom you’ll communicate via e-mail, telephone and Skype. You will also receive course material via post.
The Learning Group is a premium distance learning college. It is our purpose to help you succeed!