The ICB is much more than just another type of course. It is a professional body, that is focussed on making sure that the standard of bookkeeping, accounting and office administration, is uplifted and maintained in South Africa. The ICB wants all South Africans to have access to top of the range courses that can be internationally recognised. This is a dream that we at The Learning Group share. We want the best for all our students which is why we we make sure to offer you a wide selection of ICB courses.
If you study an ICB course you will become registered with the ICB, this means that not only will you become qualified you will also belong to a professional body. This is a great starting point for your career, and can build a good foundation for moving forward. It doesn’t matter if you are looking for a short course,a certificate or even a diploma you can find them all here with us. Become part of The Learning Group, and experience professional courses.
There is a wide selection available to students interested in ICB courses:
- ICB Certificate: Bookkeeping (Certified Senior Bookkeeper)
- ICB National Certificate: Bookkeeping (Junior Bookkeeper)
- ICB National Certificate: Small Business Financial Manager
- ICB National Diploma: Certified Financial Accounting
- ICB National Diploma: Technical Financial Accounting
Senior Bookkeeper Courses
- ICB Short Course: Senior Bookkeeping – Cost and Management Accounting
- ICB Short Course: Senior Bookkeeping – Financial Statements
Junior Bookkeeper Courses
- ICB Short Course: Junior Bookkeeper – Bookkeeping to Trial Balance
- ICB Short Course: Junior Bookkeeper – Computerised Bookkeeping
- ICB Short Course: Junior Bookkeeper – Business Literacy
- ICB Short Course: Junior Bookkeeper – Payroll and Monthly SARS Returns
Technical Financial Accountant Courses
- ICB Short Course: Technical Financial Accountant – Business Law and Accounting Control
- ICB Short Course: Technical Financial Accounting – Income Tax Returns
Certified Financial Accountant Courses
- ICB Short Course: Corporate Strategy
- ICB Short Course: Accounting Theory and Practice
- ICB Short Course: Financial Reporting and Regulatory Frameworks
- ICB Short Course: Management and Accounting Control Systems
Office Administration Courses
- ICB National Certificate: Junior Office Administrator
- ICB National Certificate: Senior Office Administrator
- ICB Diploma Office Administration (Certified Office Manager)
Business Management Courses
Important ICB Information
What is bookkeeping?
Bookkeeping is the act of systematically keeping records of the financial affairs of a business. This can often be a very complicated and multifaceted task, bounded by many rules, regulations and bookkeeping principles. Bookkeeping services are usually only offered by highly trained, and qualified, professionals.
A professional bookkeeper:
- Organises and keeps track of a company’s business transactions.
- Keeps records of all sales, income, salaries and expenses.
- Handles tax services such as income tax returns and audit presentations.
- Writes payroll reports.
- Produces financial records and statistics in formatted documents that the business owner can use.
One of the most important things about bookkeeping is that the work is precise, consistentand accurate. Bookkeeping can be done manually in books and ledgers, or electronically using bookkeeping software on a computer.
Becoming a bookkeeper in South Africa
Bookkeeping is a well-established profession in South Africa. Bookkeeping services are used by every type of company, meaning that there will always be a demand for good bookkeepers.
South African bookkeepers can also receive international recognition through the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB):
ICB graduates are recognised worldwide by the International Association of Bookkeepers, the Southern African Institute of Business Accountants, the South African Institute of Tax Practitioners, the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA).
(Source: www.icb.org.za, 6 March 2014)
Why study bookkeeping?
Become a professional bookkeeper
In South Africa, certification is extremely advantageous if you want to become a professional bookkeeper and find a good bookkeeping job. Taking an ICB bookkeeping course will give you the qualification you will need to accomplish this.
More than the qualification itself, however, you will need the bookkeeping training that comes with it. Bookkeeping is an exact science, and you will need very specific skills and knowledge if you want to work in this field.
Do your own bookkeeping
It might be a good idea to take a course in bookkeeping if you are a small business owner. Doing your own books will not only save you a lot of money, but will also give you a better understanding of – and more control over – your finances. It is also extremely beneficial for business owners to understand bookkeeping basics.
Develop your professional skills further
Good bookkeepers are always sharpening their skills, as well as learning new ones. Many of our short courses focus on teaching you specialised bookkeeping skills that you might want to add to your professional skill set.
What will I learn in a bookkeeping course?
There is a wide range of courses you can take within the discipline of bookkeeping. You can specialise in a number of fields, such as office management or tax services. You can also choose to go into accounting by taking an accounting course.
Taking a certified course in bookkeeping or accounting will give you high-quality training. You will learn everything you will need to know to become a professional in your chosen field.
Where can I study bookkeeping?
The Learning Group is a premium distance learning college, offering a selection of certified bookkeeping and accounting courses to students throughout South Africa.
Our courses differ in content, length, and level of certification. Whether you take a shortcourse in accounting, or a diploma course in bookkeeping, we will always give you the same level of student support and service. It doesn’t matter where you live; distance learning brings quality education right to your doorstep.
Office Administration Courses
Office administration is a set of daily activities related to financial planning, billing and recordkeeping, personnel, and physical distribution and logistics within an organisation. Other duties can also relate to marketing management and office communication.
Small Business Financial Management
The Small Business Financial Management course is aimed at developing the financial skills that you will need to manage the finances of a small business. The course therefore not only teaches you the technical side of managing finances, but also other managerial functions that entail basic human resources skills.
Distance learning courses vs. online courses
Online courses and distance learning courses have much in common. Both allow you to get educated, trained, or qualified from home – without having to go to physical classes or to travel to a college campus.
There are slight differences, however. Distance learning as offered by The Learning Group means:
- You receive physical study material.
- You don’t need constant access to the internet or even to a computer to study.
- You can take your study material with you wherever you go.
- You have access to a private tutor via e-mail, Skype and telephone.
- You receive constant student support.
At The Learning Group, we endeavour to make distance learning a full and enriching academic experience for you.
To find out more about enrolling for a bookkeeping course with The Learning Group, you can fill in the form on the right or call us on 0800 39 00 27: